Tuesday, October 4, 2011

We are not trying to be mean, we just don't want you to be yourself

I heard this quote on the radio this morning.  It is from that new show with Zooey Deschanel called New Girl (which is very funny).  And it struck a chord with me. 

Not many people would say it this way, but I think they are thinking this deep inside.  Often in an attempt to be “helpful” – people try to change others into what they want them to be.  If you would just dress differently, act differently, talk differently…show up in the world just a little differently – then I would be much more comfortable with you.

Don’t get me wrong – I think we all have things to work on and ways to grow – and many times a word from a friend can push us along the path of growth.  But sometimes it is just nice to be able to be yourself and have people love you anyway – not trying to change you into something else. 

We spend way too much time trying to quell the voices in our heads telling us we need to be just like some celebrity or magazine model or popular friend.  Do we really need affirmation that we need to be different rather than just friends accepting us and loving us for who we are?
Am I wrong here?  Feel free to tell me your thoughts on this….am I the only one who feels this way?

No comments:

Post a Comment