Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Why don't you write a book?

Funny, I get that a lot – and have for years.  I take it as a huge compliment and definitely appreciate the sentiment – but it makes me laugh because I seriously have no idea what I would write a book about.
I really just have random little bits to say.  I write whatever is swimming around in my head…and then I move on….and I have no idea how that can be a book.
I took a fiction class this past winter and it was so fascinating to me to hang out with a bunch of writers who really knew what they wanted to say.  We had to write a short story or chapter for everyone to workshop and everyone talked about the story that they had in their head.  One girl even said she had so many ideas – that if she ever wrote them down the book would be volumes long. 
And I just sat there and laughed…because I was perfectly comfortable with my short story.  I would have no idea how to write a book….even the dreams I dream at night start off fantastically and then kind of peter out….like I don’t even know where I want to take it in my subconscious.
I have random short stories, vignettes and diatribes in my head I could put on paper.  But who would buy that?  I think in order to write a book you have to have something to say or contribute to the world - some organizing principle to hang it all together.
Now up until this point in my life, I haven’t figured out what that would be.  But I am not ruling it out.  Perhaps someday I will figure it out.  But for now,  I like to play with little short things.  So thanks again for the words of kindness.  If I ever figure out what my book is going to be about, I promise to let you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment