Friday, September 30, 2011

Excerpts from Memoir Class - Part 3

Pretty obvious prompt - where were you on September 11? Again I only had 5 minutes so it ends abruptly.


It was a typical suburban mother morning.  I had gotten my son on his early morning bus and driven my daughter’s carpool to school.   I was bustling about the house doing the usual things when the phone rang.  “Something big just happened,” my husband said.  “A plane just crashed into the World Trade Center.”
I remember thinking it was odd that he would call.  I didn’t quite understand what he was saying.  “Ok, thanks for telling me,” I said.
I immediately went to our computer and tried to get on CNN.  The circuits were jammed and I kept watching the little hourglass swirling around aimlessly.  Randomly, just 10 days before I had declared our house a “no television zone” for the month of September.  The reasons why I did this are unclear to me now, but in that moment I felt it would be a betrayal to turn on the tv.
I kept watching the hourglass spin as I tried other news sites to no avail.  Realizing that my husband must be right – this was a big deal, I ran upstairs and flipped on Good Morning America. 

About a minute later the second plane hit.

Not long after that the tower fell.

I am not sure I even comprehended what that meant at the time – I just knew it was horrible and scary and sad.  I wanted to drive to my children’s schools and bring them home – a place that I considered safe. 

I sat in front of the news channel until noon – when I had to go to my daughter’s school to work “desk duty”.  This was supposed to add security to the school – monitoring outsiders and visitors from wandering about.  Considering the terrorist acts of the morning, this job seemed all the more ironic.  What security was I, a suburban mother, able to offer these children?

No comments:

Post a Comment