Wednesday, September 28, 2011

A Gripping First Page

The assignment...write a first page that will cause people to want to keep reading.  This is what I wrote...



Drip…drip…drip…drip…

I have given up on figuring out where the sound was coming from.  My fingers were raw from tracing every inch of the rough concrete walls…trying to find the source of the steady, measured, drip…drip…drip…that echoed ridiculously loud in the confined space. 

How long had I been here?  With no light to perforate the darkness…I could not even be sure if it was day or night…or somewhere in between.  Did it even matter?

Drip…drip…drip…one thousand four…one thousand five…one thousand six…crap…I lost count again.  Why did I always lose count somewhere after one thousand?  Now I have to start over…you can do it.  Just keep it together for one more minute and then another minute.  Going crazy doesn’t help…and no one comes when you scream.  The screaming didn’t even drown out the incessant dripping…it amplified it somehow and echoes bounced back at me with physical force.

If someone would have told me about the dripping…the constant, crazy-making, annoying, incessant, LOUD dripping….would I have still done it?  Would the threat of a little drip kept me from this place?  I thought I was so strong.  I could withstand anything.  I was so much better than the rest of them.  They were murderers and thieves and drug addicts.  I thought getting away from them and being alone would give me some peace.

If I had only known the truth.  The truth that I still couldn’t believe.  How stupid I was to trust her.  What was I thinking?  Of escape…only escape.  I didn’t think beyond that.  And look where that got me. 

Drip…drip…drip…drip…drip.

No comments:

Post a Comment