Friday, September 30, 2011

Excerpts from Memoir Class

So I took a Memoir Writing Class this past Spring.  The class was horrible but at the end of each class we did a 10 minute writing prompt that sometimes resulted in surprising stories.  This one made me laugh because it allowed me to get in my 12 year old head and make the class laugh.  It was written in 5 minutes and I am resisting the urge to edit it…we had to remember people from our childhood and then pick one and start the story with “The last time I talked to _____.”  So here you go.

The last time I talked to Mike was the day we moved away.  His mother made him say goodbye to me.  It was awkward.

She told him to give me a hug – which he did.  Ironically it was our first hug.  She didn’t know that we had secretly been “going together” for over a year.  How could she?  We almost never spoke.

Our families were friends you see and Mike and I always liked to play hide and seek in the backyard with the other kids.  I had always had a crush on him, who wouldn’t with his blue eyes, blond hair and athletic soccer build.  All the girls at church did. 

Imagine my surprise when one night, in front of his younger brother Jeff, Mike asked me to “go with him”.  I was so surprised I didn’t know what to say.

“Call me tomorrow,” I choked out.

“I’m not allowed to talk on the phone,” he said.

He did call me the next day and I agreed to go out with him. 

And I don’t think I ever talked to him again.

Our families stopped hanging out suddenly – no idea why.  And I was so embarrassed to see him at church, I frequently stayed home “pretending” to be sick.

A year passed – sometime in there Mike won me a stuffed animal at Great America, and gave it to my mom because I wasn’t there.  I regret that to this day.

Then we moved away – and Mike and I never broke up.  But he did hug me.  Just that one time in front of our moms – awkward and shy and forced. 

That was the last time I talked to Mike.

No comments:

Post a Comment