Friday, September 30, 2011

Last Excerpt from Memoir Class

I don't remember this prompt - but this is all about my son - who I absolutely adore.  We tease him about this all of the time - and he is good natured about it.  He frequently feels "different" because he doesn't quite fit right in the world - but don't we all?


My son is incredibly brilliant.  I know most parents think this about their children, but I swear this is different.  He is technically a genius – his IQ is 165.  I only know this because the school tested him when he begged them to teach him Algebra when he was in kindergarten.  He had already mastered long division.
People think having a smart kid is the ideal, but what they don’t realize is that with all that intellect filling up his brain, my son lacks common sense.  Things that most people take for granted are incredibly difficult for my son to figure out.  Perhaps it is because he is too busy thinking smart thoughts to bother with them.
This manifested itself at an early age.  He would be so involved in building a mecca out of Legos or constructing a roller coaster with his Knex – that he would forget to go to the bathroom.  This resulted in many accidents.  It got to the point where he would be running for the bathroom at the last minute and everyone would dive out of the way lest they get sprayed.
As he got older, there were more things to do.  His mind needed to be constantly active.  We would take a five minute drive in the car and he would need to bring a book to read or a video game.  When he got his driver’s license, he got lost constantly because he had never paid attention to where he was going.  A trip to the store could take three hours and an entire tank of gas.


No comments:

Post a Comment